WordPress was used for my blog and Squarespace was used for the creation of the SJC website.
WordPress served as a very useful tool in the creation of my blog. Each week I was responsible for writing three blog entries:
In- Class Highlights:
A highlight for me this semester was an interview with a group of students from Ross Roads Elementary School in North Vancouver.
Eleni McLaughlin, Saoirse Pontin and Madeline Williams are the sixth-grade students who created the Hike-Safe mobile app, which functions to inform hikers on the safety of various hikes in regards to trail length and daylight hours.
When applied Burke’s dramatic Pentad, which tool for analyzing rhetoric and the rhetor’s motives for a situation, one can see that McLaughlin, Pontin and Williams have effectively addressed the ART, SCENE, AGENTS, AGENCY and PURPOSE of creating the app.
- Act —The central focus of the Hike Safe app is to provide a practical tool to hikers so that better safety can be attained on the mountain
- Scene-The girls saw a need in their community and choose to address it. In living in North Vancouver they saw lots of search and rescue helicopters going out to help hikers who hiked too late in the day
- Agents– Mclaughlin, Pontin and Williams are the agents of this cause. They spent many hours learning about coding and designing each aspect of the app
- Agency – The action took place through the mentorship of Cher Main
- Purpose – The purpose behind this app is to create positive change and bring safety to the hiking community of North Vancouver
Social Justice Centre Practicum Highlights:
During the first class of English 4300 we were presented with various practicum options. I was placed in Mike Ma’s group and began the journey of creating a new website for the Social Justice Centre (SJC). I look forward to presenting our new website with you!
- Talking with advocates for social justice
- Taking my learning outside of the classroom
- Learning how to use Squarespace
- Working along side Jenn and Mike in the creation of the SJC website
- Participating in the grant proposal process
- Putting rhetorical theory into practice
- Presenting at UVIC
Our DHSI group was featured in the Kwantlen News